Williams Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church History
Williams Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was founded January 7, 1886 by Rev. McBride, Rev. Ferbee, W.H. Robinson and J.H. Frazier. The original site was located in the 1200 block of South Shedwick St. This site was demolished for the construction of a tunnel and railroad tracks for the Baltimore and Ohio railway. The Church then named Union Station by Rev. N.H. Crisden, relocated to 1325 S. Warfield St.
In 1907, the land for this present site, 3133 Reed Street was purchased. In 1910, the church was renamed Williams Temple in honor of our sixth elected Bishop, Robert S. Williams, who was a devoted friend. With prayer, faith and personal sacrifices, in 1944, the $6000 thousand mortgage was paid off under the leadership of Pastor, Rev. E.T. Wood.
Rev. Elton F. Woodard had the longest tenure as a Pastor. He was appointed in 1954, and though visually handicapped he led the congregation with dignity for 29 years, and had numerous accomplishments.
In October of 2014, after years of fundraising by our members, our Sanctuary was beautifully, renovated under the leadership of Rev. Derrick A. Price and he enhanced the spiritual life of our congregation. Williams Temple has been strengthened and great accomplishments were done by a line of outstanding Pastors and Ministers throughout the years.
Our present pastor, Rev. Tiggs Washington was assigned in August 2015. He has already established positive momentum in our church and community. He has a good work ethic, joy and enthusiasm for teaching and preaching the gospel, and involvement in different ministries and activities in our church and community. Rev. Washington has incorporated “Black Lives Matter” in his vision of his ministry.
**Williams Temple is a member of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. The C.M.E. Church was founded December 16, 1870 by a group of 41 former slaves in Jackson, Tennessee, who were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. From humble beginnings, the CME Church has become a major denomination. One of its most significant witnessing arenas has been the education of African Americans. Today the CME Church supports, Phillips School of Theology, (seminary) Atlanta, GA; Lane College, Jackson, TN; Paine College, Augusta, GA; Miles College, Birmingham, AL; and Texas College, Tyler, TX.
The CME Church has more than 1.2 million members across the United States, and has missions and sister churches in Haiti, Jamaica and fourteen African nations. We are organized into 11 Episcopal Districts and each district is presided over by a Bishop.